Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forcing a single instance of Internet Explorer per user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubes

Technical User
Jul 5, 2002
GB
We deliver an Oracle database via IE and have found that some of the users will open a second or third instance of IE to gain access to their other responsibilities at the same time. While it has no effect on performance of the Citrix boxes, it does affect the other users performance at the database end and because it's delivered thin, they blame the thin side.

Is anyone aware of a method of stopping this from happening on the Citrix boxes without using an AppSense type software monitor? The DBAs are a bit clutchy about doing anything at the DB end and I would rather force the restriction at the thin boxes than listen to the grumbling from them.

If IE is a published app. you can restrict it to only one instance. But, I don't quite understand your problem. You say the multiple IE sessions don't affect the Citrix server, yet somehow affects the DB performance? How is that? Seems to me you could have 10 instances of IE open and if you are not running a query to the DB then it should not effect the DB at all. If they are just sitting there then they should not effect the DB server at all. In my experience it is only when a query is run does the performance get degraded.

JON

Thanks for your comments Jontmke. Addition info below.

IE is being delivered as part of a desktop along with the Oracle Application Desktop Integrator and a couple standard Office apps. Within the front end for the DB, the users have an option under the file menu to change responsibilites. Once they choose to change, the current responsibility becomes grayed out and inactive. Some of the more sly users have found that by open other instances of IE, they can toggle round and run multiple queries and just move on to another and work there while the queries are running in their other responsibilities.

Sly dogs.[wink] If they have a desktop than I don't think you can stop them from opening multiple IE's. Is there a way to restrict access to the DB? Do they log in to that? Can you then block multiple log ins to that?

JON

Jon, I figured that was the answer but I just wanted another opinion. I can get the restriction applied at the DB end, it's just sometimes the hassle almost isn't worth the end result. My best bet is to wait for them to come up with the idea and then they'll act on it.

Thanks for you time.

Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back