Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forcibly delete a public folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjsvec

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2002
US
Here's the story- I had exchange 5.5 running on an old unstable server an wanted to move it to a new one. I replicated a lot of public folders, but forgot to replicated their _sub_ folders.. Anyhow, I have since uninstalled Exchange from the original server and tossed the original server.

I am now having 2 problems that I think are related.

1. I get 'public free/busy data not available, etc, etc' errors on all my clients. This occurs intermittantly, but usually once a day. After this happens, the clients cannot write to a public folder until they reboot their machine.

2. The sub folders of the public folders that I forgot to replicate show up in the public folders list, but are unavailable, because the old server is gone. Is there some way I can forcibly delete these? I tried through exchange administrator, but it doesn't seem it can be done there.

I think that if I can delete the unavailable folders that maybe the eroors will stop. Or maybe I just have 2 seperate problems..

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Brandon

Look at the properties for the folders in Exchange Admin by expanding the 'Folders' tree. On the general tab, at the bottom of the page, you will find the Home Server listed. If the Home Server is your old server, you may find it impossible to delete the folders unless your new server takes ownership.

If your server is NOT connected to any other servers, and there are no other servers in your Exchange site, you can re-home the public folders by selecting your Exchange server in the tree on the left side of Exchange Admin, and opening the properties page. On the Advanced properties tab, you will see a button labeled 'Consistency Adjuster'. Click on this button to re-home the public folders.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back