Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forced usage of a particular tapedrive on LTO-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaJuHe

MIS
Mar 25, 2004
FI
We have BAB 9.0 (2020) running on WIN2000 server combined with 36 slot LTO-2 Ultrium TD2 backup robot through SCSI.

Every now and then we get errors in the Tape Log:
E6012 Write error - Head sync error during write
E6092 Fatal - Uncorrectable error
I've read throught all the previous posts regarding these errors and we are just going through all the steps recommended earlier,we are not ready yet with that whole process though.

Meanwhile i was thinking about a temporary solution.
Since we always seem to get these errors on the same drive of the 2 available, i would be interested to know if there is a way to force BAB to always use this drive that does not give any errors?

Clearly in the Tape Log the errors always seems to appear only for the particular drive and never for the other one.
Eg.
"Getting Log Sense Recovered write errors:
LDN:3 IBM Ultrium-TD2
Changer drive [0] LDN:2 <- never gives any errors
Changer drive [1] LDN:3 <- gives errors very often now

So it is always LDN:3 ie. Changer drive [1] that fails.
Is there a way to force BAB to always use Changer drive [0] LDN:2?
One drive will be ok for now if this is possible since none of the jobs overlap each other.

I am grateful about any ideas or experiences about this.

Kind regards, KaJuHe

Can you offline within Arcserve the drive you don't want to use?

Thanks BETuser,
looks like the 11.5 version has something called Fault-tolerant operations which provides continous operation with a defective drive when a drive in a multiple drive library becomes defective by being marked as offline.

Unfortunately since we are still running on version 9 i guess i have to find another way to achieve this.
If anyone knows how this could be achieved in any way in version 9 please let me know.

Kind regards, KaJuHe

with version 9 you can disable specific tape drives using the Device Configuration Wizard. Just run the Wizard and set the suspected drive to offline in the appropriate screen

regards

Here is the solution how we managed to get rid of our errors E6012 and E6092:

The room where the servers physically are had a temperature of 24.5 celcius when the problems started.
By decreasing the temperature by 12% down to 21.5C all the errors disappeared.
The very original temperature 21.5C had risen up due to couple of new servers that were added in the room recently.
Tricky problem to find exact reason but simple to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back