Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forced firmware downgrade on 1140e 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tman45

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2007
US
Hey guys. Is there a way to downgrade our 1140 firmware on specific phones (2 of them only) on a 5.5 system? Basically, version 0625C4L works with our Bluetooth headsets and 0625C6J does not. I would like to get our C6J sets back to C4L for our Help Desk so they can use our Plantronics Voyager headsets. Thanks in advance.
Supposedly it is possible with Element Manager or a switch command, but I don't know the path or command to do so and I am having trouble locating it. I have done a TFTP set by set upgrade in the past so I am familiar with that as well.

Don't know for sure,however in the Cisco Call Manager,on the device itself we have a feild called Phone Load Name: and we just copy the old phone load name in that feild and unplug - replug and the phone down grades.

Not sure you can mix firmware for the same phone type on the same switch. If a phone registers and the firmware is different from that held on the switch it will change the firmware to match, so even if you could load a different version on those 2 phones it would change again when they register.

Forgive me for the drive by threadjacking, but Tman do you have any ideas about the issue regarding my SMG on this thread? Again apologies about the threadjack.

Also, I think RD is correct when the phone registers back to the SS it will download the latest firmware which would overwrite the lower version.

Sorry I didn't include that the firmware version on our PBX is the C4L that we need - the firmware won't download because C6J is already on the phone (must have been upgraded before shipped out). So, that is the need for a downgrade. The current firmware check won't downgrade as I thought the firmware versions are supposed to match. So, all our new out of box phones are all the higher version and we need the lower version currently. I suppose I could try a higher firmware version if there is one higher than C6J - does anyone have info on 1140 latest and greatest?
And nikeair - no problem thredjacking - I will check out that SMG thread.

There is C6O that we are using and no issues with the bluetooth.

The currently shipping 1120E/1140E cannot be downgraded to anything below C6J. Have a look at Bulletin 2009009363, Rev 1.

Thanks Gwebster that is what I seemed to be running into as the phone would say 'Incompatible Firmware Blocked' which I hadn't ran into with past phones. I will have to check out that Bulletin :) Thanks GuyCable2 for posting the version I can use and I will try to get ahold of that version (or higher). I don't think we would load the UniStim 3.4 as I think that is too bleeding edge for our Call Center :) - I would do it myself in a heartbeat though :D
You guys ALL ROCK per usual. STARS awarded.

I had the same issue with that FW (C6J). but have since upgraded to C6R and there are no issues with Bluetooth on this FW(C6R).

THANK YOU Phnman!!!! It is VERY nice to know which versions will have the Bluetooth issue fixed. Basically, the issue for us is that we have trouble pairing AND once it is paired/activating when you press headset we can't get a line even with pressing the DN key. Really strange that they would allow this firmware version to be shipped out with the Bluetooth portion broken! Frustrating for customers anyway. I think we will be more likely to get C6R or the latest and greatest (so if someone knows 100% if Bluetooth works on the latest please post!) Then, I just have to bug our vendor to provide it!! Wish I could just do it myself - hate being locked down by my company with these stupid contracts!! :D

Tman, uh not sure if this is against forum rules or anything, but I could get you this firmware if you're having any problems getting it. If it is my apologies and please disregard [peace]

Tman45 (and others)... If you are using Element Manager and have internet access from your site, then you can use the "currency file" mechanism to download the latest list of recommended firmware, download the files themselves, and subsquently push out to your system. Instructions are in the IP Line Fundamentals NTP.

Again you guys are the best!!! Good recommendation Gwebster on the 'currency file' ... the problem is that our vendor is supposed to perform these so the stance from my management is very hands-offish :) I think it is mainly due to us having a painful implementation that was vendor and equipment related. The vendor main issue was customer service and the equipment was MGC reboots due to bad loadware - supposedly.

Every product bulletin for IP Phone firmware says "Nortel recommends an upgrade to these releases of firmware for all applicable IP Phones and Call Servers at the earliest convenience." If your vendor is NOT performing that for you then you should certainly be entitled to do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back