Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force VPN user to Use OWA. (Not allow outlook via VPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

debbiezzzzz

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2007
US
We allow some of our users to VPN to our network. In house we allow them to use .pst files in addition to our exchange server. (Pst files to archive mail.) We also allow those .pst files to be on our network drives. (I know,
not supported. But thats not my question.) Anyhow, due to the heavy amount of network traffic generated between outlook and the .pst files, we don't want them using outlook if they are VPN'd in. (Only when actually in house.)

We know we can have multiple Mail profiles, and have one profile in outlook w/o the .pst files and another with. However we find the users decide to use the profile with the .pst files.

Is there a way for me in Exchange to prevent a user connected to the network via VPN from running the outlook client? (We need to allow them to remain
VPN'd to access other files.) We basicly want to force the users to run OWA when connected VPN.

Thanks,
D

Block port 25 across the VPN.

Will that stop outlook from running, or just sending/receiving mail? (Does outlook use Port 25 to access the .pst files as well as the exchange server?)

Thanks!

the VPN can be configured to block port 25 and should not affect anyone or anything else but those over that VPN with that group Name you configure.

I think I understand that part. My question is, will that prevent them from running the outlook client on the computer? (Which is what we want to do.)

Outlook will open, but it would not be able to connect with the Exchange server. They could see their PST files (if local), but thats it.

Sweet, so they would not be able to see their .pst files on the network drive? If so, that would work nicely.
Thank you for the information :)

A better solution would be to get rid of the .pst files. The issue is that pst files cause all kinds of problems. Not the least of which is the fact that users cannot access them in OWA, OMA, or EAS.

If you're allocating space on a file server to store pst files, why not allocate space in Exchange for them. The mail actually takes less space in Exchange that in a .pst file. There's all kinds of legal discovery issues and file integrity issues that come into play as well. I know, not the question you were asking, but a solution to the issue that is not only much more graceful, but fully supported.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back