Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force tasks to only be scheduled on a specific day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardHayes

Programmer
May 1, 2002
GB
I am trying to import data into Project, and I want a subset of the data (denoted by a flag) to only be scheduled for Mondays. Everything else should be scheduled for Tuesdays through Fridays.

The answer depends on the version of Project you're working with.

1. P2000+ server - get your admin to create a calendar specific to your requirements (i.e. Sunday, and Tuesday through Saturday are flagged as Nonworking time).
1a. View | Gantt
1b. Display the column "Task Calendar"
1c. Select the tasks that use that calendar
1d. Change the calendar to the appropriate one.

2. P2000+ standalone -
2a. Tools | change working time | click on "new" and create a calendar specific to your requirements (i.e. Sunday, and Tuesday through Saturday are flagged as Nonworking time).
2b. See 1a thru 1d.

3. P98 - Ah, this is where the challenge lies. P98 supports resource calendars but not task calendars.
3a. Tools | Change working time | click on "new" and create a calander specific to your requirements (i.e. Sunday, and Tuesday through Saturday are flagged as Nonworking time).
3b. (Shhhh -- don't tell anyone, they pay me big bucks to know this stuff.) Click on View | Resource Sheet. Create a resource. Since you only want to do work on these tasks on Mondays name the resource Monday.
3c. Double-click on Monday, find the Working time tab, find the Base Calendar entry and change it to the Monday calendar you created in step 3a.
3d. View | Gantt. Display the appropriate tasks. Assign Monday as the resource.

I wish you had said that you wanted the work to be done on Fridays because then we could have called the resource Friday and, as you know, Robinson Crusoe was the only person to get all his work done by Friday.

I gave you a star for the humor, not the solution.

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

JohnHerman: what solution would you have proposed? (Or is that an "unreasonable" ;-) -- see your .sig -- question?)

Thank you for your help, I am using Project 2003 standard edition, standalone.

I have created the calendars as you suggest, but I'm not sure I'm mapping to the right field when I import the data. I am mapping to "Task Calandar", but when I import, I get the following error for every record :
"An import error occurred.
Check row 1 column 8.
The calendar name does not exist, click a calendar in the list, and then press Enter.
bla bla bla".
I have checked the calendar spelling carefully, and I'm sure I've got it correct.
Any ideas?
PS thanks for the Crusoe gag - got a good laugh :).

I have no problems but I may have done my import slightly differently from you.

Since Project does not have the ability to "map" a calendar for export and import, I created an empty project and added the Monday calendar. Then I opened the spreadsheet with the data, and (during with Wizard data entry) I answered the "How do you want to import this file?" question by clicking the "Append the data to the active project" radio button.

In my test file, it worked fine.

If you're still having problems, give me the step-by-step process you're using (where you click, what you type) for each screen that you navigate through.

My solution? I would have declared a new religion whose faith required them to do certain tasks only on Mondays, while leaving Tues to Fri available for other tasks.

Then I would accuse Microsoft of trying to dominate world timekeeping by forcing everyone to standardize on their work week. Using the anti-trust arguement, I'd force Microsoft to develop software with variable work weeks. For isntance, there would be a consultant work week - 4 days alegedly 10 hours per day but really be 8 hours.
Then there would be the worker bee week, which would have 8 days per week and unlimited hours per day.

Think outside the box once in awhile !?

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back