Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force Save-As Location Other Than Locally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red131

MIS
Aug 4, 2005
US
I have set up a small Server 2000 network to manage 2000 and XP clients. I am trying to keep the Local computer as clean as posible by not allowing users to save their pictures, music, and etc. Is there a way to force the users to save in a location other than the c: drive. Currently each user connects to a personal drive and a network drive viewable by all users. I would like it so that when they go to save something, they are promted to save to their personal drive or the network share or the A: drive. Any thought?

Heald College - IT Technician

Hi,

First of all document it so that they know they have to do this.

Secondly, you could block access to the local drives. This has other implications. You could move the 'My documents' folder to the network. Generally windows apps will point the user to the last save location.

Hope this helps

I have got it set up this way already and it does help keep things off locally but I still have to answer the question of, "How come I cannot save to the HDD". I could leave signs on the computer like you suggested with the documentation but I was hoping that their was a GPO or script or something that could be applied for what I am looking for.

Heald College - IT Technician

Not sure what you mean. But my response is that it is company policy and that computers are for business use only and hence anything saved on the network should be backed up centrally etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back