Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force Quark to look to local folder for images

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGLC

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
Is there a simple way to force quark to use images in the local folder instead of the image paths to network drives?

I'm looking for an option other than disconnecting from the network.

I presume you have duplicates of the files on both local and network drives.
The degree of work will depend on how many files and their locations.
If the files are in one folder on each of the drives, here's what I would do.

Rename the source folder temporarily on the network drive.
Open the Quark doc and go to UTILITIES>USAGE>PICTURES. You will see that all pictures are listed as 'Missing'. Highliight the first file name and click on 'update'. Locate the folder on your local drive where the duplicate files are, select the file you are looking for and click 'open'.
You will then get a dialogue box saying "Additional missing pictures are located in this folder. Okay to update these as well?"
Confirm and all pictures will be updated with those on your local drive.
If your files are stored in a few folders it will obviously take a little longer.
Save document.
On the network drive, change the modified folder name back to it's original title.
If your files are scattered all over your drives, then I don't know of a 'trick' way to solve your problem.

i don't think rickwells is correct. if Quark is seeing the pictures on the network drive, if you change the name of the folder or even if you make the folder invisible Quark still doesn't let go. trust me - i've tried it. it's a bugger!

regards
Duncan

Duncan
I've also experienced the problem in question and the remedy worked for me. Can't say that all factors were identical though. I'm curious - going to have another look at this tomorrow.
Cheers

Thanks for the input.

I can't rename the the network folder as it is used by the opi server. Don't won't to be the culprit when a print job goes bad.

So looks like its disconnecting from the network.

Have you tried doing a 'Collect for output' on to your local drive and then opening the Q/X doc from that folder ?

Try unmounting your network drive, then the pictures should come up as missing in the usage, then you can re-direct them to where you want them to link up.
I don't know if you work over the network or not, if you do, you may have to copy the quark file and pictures to your desktop, then unmount your server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back