Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force NT 4 Wkst to be authenticated by specific DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zagreb01

Technical User
Sep 10, 2001
AU
Is it possible to force an NT 4 workstation to be authenticated by a specific domain controller?

It is not possible to force a workstation to be authenticated by a domain controler. to authenticate YOu must to declare it in the properties at network neihgborhood...

You can force a wks to authenticate to any specified DC. Use setprfdc.exe from the nt resource kit. I beleive that it started shipping with Service pak 6 also. after the initial logon you can run this command and every subsequent logon (without a restart) will authenticate to the specified DC. This is especially helpful if you are trying to trouble shoot a policy or logon script error at one DC.

You can also for the authentication by using the host files but it has been more than 3 years since I have done that and I do not remember how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back