Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

force NB to use new tape for everyday schedule backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbase77

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
IE
Hi,

How do I go about setting NB to use new tape every day instead of append to previous tape backup. I have tape library which stores about 24 tapes. I know I can just take the tape out every day but too much hassle for me.

Anybody ever implement this using NB 45?

Thank you in advance.

regards,
feroz

Use different pools and create a new policy for every day. Robotic configurations and NB 4 are not designed to specifically target a tape unless you run the backup using the command line options.

Go into the host properties on the media server and uncheck "allow multiple retention periods per media" on the media tab.

That assumes that each day has a different retention level. You could possibly do that by creating a policy and then separate schedules for each day using a different retention level for each day. You have 25 levels to play with so say you have your normal daily backups kept for 7 days, create 5 x 7 day retention levels and then, as suggested ny bonhead569, do not allow multiple retentions per media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back