Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force justify

Status
Not open for further replies.

okscout

Technical User
Jul 13, 2004
US
A client wants a new typesetting project to look exactly like a hand set document. This often means in the Frame doc that the last item on the page will have a return, which forces the remainder of the item to the top of the next page. The item with the hard return ends where it ends, of course, but the client would really like it to be justified. Is there an easy way to do this other than opening the paragraph designer and adjusting the spread? I'm lazy and the guesswork eats up minutes.

The obvious solution is to write a plug-in to do this for you automatically. We are currently developping a plug-in that could be easily modified to do this. If you are interested, I can ask my boss to allow me to build a special version out of our alpha version. For now, what our plug-in does is to take a paragraph and look at the last line, then decrease the spread of the paragraph if the last line length is less than a (configurable) percentage of the paragraph width. It does this repeatedly until the paragraph is one line shorter (so that the last line is then nearly full).

It has to modes : manual (click into a pargraph and process it) or automatic (process all paragraphs in a document.

The program could be modified to justify the last line of a paragraph.

The plug-in you've suggested sounds like a happy ending to my question. Is it ready for selling to users? How much would it cost?
Thank you for your interest and taking the time to respond.
Nancy

Hello Nancy,

The plugin is not ready to sell. Some functionalities are in alpha version and others are not implemented yet. Currently, it allows to :

- increment or decrement spread of a paragraph or a selected text range by pressing one key. The increment is 0.1% it should be user configurable in the release version.

- reset the spread to 0.

- test the length of the last line of a paragraph and then, if the length is to small, reduce the spread of the whole paragraph to make one line short (thus making the last line nearly full).

- apply the above to all paragraph in a document.

- justify the last line of a paragraph.

- reverse the above, reseting the last line to normal state.

Alpha version will be available within a few days for those interested in testing the plugin (for Windows only). Tell me if you are interested.

Pierre-Yves

I would be interested in testing the plug-in. I am using Windows XP, FM 7.0
Thank you for your help.

Ok, I am going to setup a web page where you will find downloading and installation instructions. This should be done within one or two days. I will let you know when it is ready.

I have setup a web page were you can download the plug-in. The adresse is
If you test the plug-in, do not forget to send me your feed-back.

Pierre-Yves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back