Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force Job to use a apecific Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

w33mhz

MIS
May 22, 2007
US
I have a backup job to use a tape that I have in my library that is not full only has 64 GB used, the job was part of the same schedules as other jobs on that are on this specific tape (I think anyways could be wrong), but for whatever reason the job states that there are no resources availble, (its the only tape in the library at the moment). I have the option to mark the media as full, but not apendable. I have suspended the job and resumed it several times and it just doesn't try and use the tape.

I note that you have said that the jobs were in the same schedule, but are they also in the same Storage Policy?

Short of that, there are a few things that stop jobs writing to appendable media.

First of all it is worth checking the Media tab on the Library Properties sheet. On this tab both the Mark Media Appendable or Use Appendable Media need to be selected, as otherwise this will prevent jobs writing to appendable media. The other thing to take note of is the "with X day(s) of its last write time", if this is too low for your schedule, it will also prevent appendable media being written to.

Another thing to check is the Media tab within the Advanced Backup Options dialog. On the Media tab, check that the following options are unchecked:
Jobs are initiated with "Start new Media"
Jobs are finalised with "Mark media Full after successful operation

Yes I am sorry for not noting that they are part of the same storage policy. On the media tab of the Library Properties, the Mark Media Appendable is checked, the Use Appendable media is checked "within 14 days of its las write time is the last setting.
On the Advanced Backup Options Media tab, the Start new media is checkd and Job should wait for inline copy resources is checked.

Assuming that you're using Schedule Policies to schedule your jobs - is it possible the jobs that aren't getting placed on the appendable media are part of another Schedule Policy which also has "Start New Media" checked?

If so, for future backups, you may need to uncheck "Start New Media".

ok, well I did that, and it seems to be working for the jobs today. Thx for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back