Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force IP release / renew

Status
Not open for further replies.

hysonmb

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
US
Hello,
I would like to know if there is a way to force computers to do an IP release / renew at a specified time with a script. If it is possible, is there a way that the script can be pushed to all of the computers on a network from the server? Where would I put it?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I am sure there is a way to do this however wouldnt configuring your PC's and server for DHCP be a more manageable option?

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

Actually, after posting this and talking a bit more with a few people, I never thought of the option of simply reducing the lease time on the current DHCP server. What I'm doing is changing servers and we were trying to make things harder than they have to be. Thanks for the re: however.

Yes, this is what I was leaning towards when I mentioned DHCP

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

I dont think there was an issue, hysonmb just wanted to know if there was a batch file that could force a PC to renew its IP every few hours. Of course you can configure DHCP to force the lease to expire whenever you want thus doing what was required a lot easier.

faq222-2244
faq608-4650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back