Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

force 5410 downgrade? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesears

Technical User
Feb 18, 2009
US
Is it possible to force a 5410 that has rel6 on it to downgrade to rel5. I have an ip500 on 4.1.15 and the phones say system incompatible. I already added the allow upgrade for 5410's, rebooted they system, I made sure the directories were pointed to the 4.1.15 software. I even tried to trick they by renaming the 5410-R5 to 5410-R6. I can't get them to take the older files. Any ideas? The phones work, I connected them to a newer system and they came up fine.

If you look in Monitor does the IPO try to download the firmware?

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

If you have a R4.1 system then there are some .bat files in the manager folder which basicaly sends tftp messages to IP Office to enable/disable firmware upgrades to DS phones.
You need to have the windows tftp client enebled on your PC, test it by opening a dos box and simply enter tftp, if it responds with anything else as "command not found" then you are ok and you can invoke the tft command "tftp <IP ADDRESS IP OFFICE> GET "nasystem/phone_firmware_download_on" to enable upgrade or invoke the command "tftp <IP ADDRESS IP OFFICE> GET "nasystem/phone_firmware_download_off"" to disable the upgrade of DS phones.
Without these commands the phone will never try to fetch new firmware.

Thanks for the tips!
Intrigrant, I enabled the tftp client but when I run the command no file is found. Where should this file be located? I'm familiar with this process since I'm not really an IT guy....I'm a phone guy. I don't have a problem with manager using my laptop to send the files to the phones. I have been able to make the 5420 take a download but I can't get these 5410's to download. I'm not on site at the moment so I can't check monitor. I was trying to make the phones take a download on my test system.

The message is OK, IP Office does not return anything but it will enable the update of the phones.
Phines must be disconnected and reconnected after the tftp command, otherwise they don't pickup the software.

I couldn't get that to work on my test system with newer software but I'll check test it on site. Hopefully they will take a download this time. Thanks again.

I've never used those commands in my life, only ever the Allow command in source numbers, has always worked for upgrades and downgrades. Not sure if specifically at that version, as that's a long time ago....:)

Step by step:
1 In manager setup a ip address tp your PC as the tftp server
2 in NoUser shortcodes add "Allow 5410 Upgrades"
3 on your PC run manager and check:
- Manager has tftp server and BOOTP enabled
- working directory points to the folder containing the 5410Rx.bin file
- Firewall and virusscanner disabled
4 invoke the tftp command from a DOS box : "tftp <IP ADDRESS IP OFFICE> GET "nasystem/phone_firmware_download_on"
it will show the error message "file not found" that is OK
5 in manager open the tftp monitor page
6 restart a 5410 and monitor the upgrade process

Why don't you just upgrade the system to 4.2 and be done with it.
Or even R5 before Avaya got greedy and charged for the upgrades

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back