Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

For Computer Dinosaurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help me understand if this is satire or not.

I've never been a MAC guy and only touched my first PC around 1984/5 (Dos 3.x era).

I know things were weird back then but this is a whole new level of weird (If not satire)

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

This is a mainframe timesharing satire/analogy.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

The workshops were main memory. The warehouses were generally a reel of tape.

Can remember an oil company doing their credit card billing on a little 1401 with 1.2k of memory. Maximum on that system was 16k.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I indirectly worked with an IBM 360 at college, it was tied to an IBM 370 at another campus. I remember how they explained that programs had 64K chunks of memory that they used. They had a name for it, but I do not remember what it was (+40 years ago). We also had a mini computer on campus that had 16K of memory and a removable hard drive (10 MB).

I believe that 64k chunk of memory was called a "partition". At least it was on the 360/370s I worked on.

[bigsmile]

They used some sort of time slicing for those partitions. Each partition got a bit of the CPU time until it moved to the next partition. It is possible that it could do I/O when the CPU was not working on that partition.

Great read....just Great!

Robert "Wizard" Johnson III
U.S. Military Vets MC
CSM, CSPO, MCPD, CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
Data Integration Engineer

I suddenly feel old. The youngsters don't understand mainframes and I remember programming them. [sad]

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

So the forgotten programming languages from college. Watfive (not sure of the spelling, simple version of Fortran), Fortran, COBOL, PL/1, assembly language (IBM 360/370), machine language on a IMSAI 8080. There are probably others that I had to learn at the time and never used.

My intro on the 1401 was machine language to do the "penny a day" program on a single card. Missed that it was a signed positive compare to break out of the loop and lost 4 pages on a 1000lpm printer before I could get it stopped.
Real work, fixing punched card machines, then took over my life.
No more programming until I next did machine language on a SWTP 6800.

Ed Fair

I got a mimeographed copy of A FORTRAN Coloring Book in 1979, how I learned the basics. Remember punching up a FORTRAN program with a fourier transform for an EE lab in 1963 or 1964.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

>SWTP 6800

ooh - the first microcomputer I ever got my hands on.

strongm's comment:
"ooh - the first microcomputer I ever got my hands on."

Still have several that will eventually come back to life. All in the original cabinets have gone on to collections. This is one I passed on:

Ed Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back