Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foot In The Door? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbear342

Programmer
Oct 1, 2000
US
I have taken some college "certification" classes and have earned HTML (to develop a web site from start to finish (Tables,Frames, all hand coded)),CSS, JAVASCRIPT (Can write my own basic Programs),CGI/PERL (Just started the class), and want to learn ASP next. My question is where is the door to get in on a entry level job in this profession? Every one wants "X"years experance. I Thank You for your responce I advance. [sig][/sig]

I think that you need to pick up a book or two and dive head first into ASP. If you can get some relevant experience teaching yourself, then you shouldnt have a hard time finding a job. It will show that you are a self-starter and a hard worker. Interview with some consulting firms that will take your existing knowledge of ASP and grow it for you through their training. (i.e Andersen Consulting, E&Y).

I know it can be done.... [sig]<p>Chad Elley<br><a href=mailto:celley@gobcg.com>celley@gobcg.com</a><br>[/sig]

Ask at the college you are attending classes at if they have an employment counsellor or job postings area or some such thing.

The college I went to had a constant stream of positions being posted with local businesses knowing the strength of the graduates. Also talk to your instructors to see if there are former graduates you could talk to about what they are doing and if they are in a position to help you out.

Hope that helps. [sig]<p>Crystal<br><a href=mailto:crystals@genesis.sk.ca>crystals@genesis.sk.ca</a><br><a href= > </a><br>--------------------------------------------------<br>
Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing.<br>
-Oscar Wilde<br>
[/sig]

Thank you Both for your responces , I found them helpful, I am new to this site , and apreciate your time and professional responces. :)
David Dunn [sig][/sig]

More advice for the taking...
Check with You can search by region for positions directly related to the web and graphic design. That's how I found my current employer. Don't stop looking! I have 20 years experience in advertising design and am now learning on-the-job HTML, Javascript, etc. Some employers do take chances on ambitious learners. I feel grateful that I was persistent in getting what I looked for in a field where I knew very little. Go get 'em! With your knowledge, experience will follow. [sig][/sig]

Get an ISP to host your website. Then, build your website. Then, when you get to an interview, have them go to your website. Talk is cheap, when you can show them what you have done, that sells! [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back