Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fontsize question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotreca

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
DE
I came across a problem which gives me headaches

How can I get my screen not to react when someone changes the View - Text Size to large or small it should remain on Medium (in IE preferably others too)

any help would be apreciated

cherio
hotreca
[noevil]

You know, don't you, that philosophically, trying to undo a User setting is supposed to give you headaches. If font-changing is causing trouble, there are design flaws. It would be like trying to figure out how to get the tree-shaped air freshener in your car to stay right on top of that blinking "engine warning" indicator light so that the blinking doesn't distract you from driving. Well, maybe not exactly like that, but it's a funny image. [smile]

The easiest way that I know of to lock text to exactly what I believe the Users need to see is to make a graphic image of the text and post that image.

Have you tried using CSS to specify a font size?

For example, your file would contain, in the header section:

Code:
<link rel=&quot;stylesheet&quot; href=&quot;style.css&quot; type=&quot;text/css&quot;></link>

and then somewhere in the body

Code:
<p class=&quot;Normal&quot;>It is easier to sit closer to your monitor than to make this text bigger.</p>

Then, you have a separate file called &quot;style.css&quot; in the same directory with the following text in it:

Code:
p.Normal
{
  font-family:&quot;times new roman&quot;, serif;
  font-size:8px;
  font-style:normal;
}

And yes, I chose px to indicate pixels.

Cheers,
[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Like Lovecraft? Know Photoshop? Got time for the Unspeakable?

Thks for the answer but that does not work as I control al my sites with style sheets

any other ideas?

hotreca
[noevil]

Okay, first, I have no idea what you mean by &quot;that does not work as I control al my sites with style sheets&quot;. That's exactly what I'm talking about -- make the change as described in your style sheet.

Second, specifying in px works perfectly and can't be changed by the User provided the user is using IE. IE believes in this case that if the developer wanted 8px, then screw a satisfactory user experience and it won't let you change that. Not easily, anyway. hotreca mentioned IE.

Mozilla (and presumably other well-behaved browsers) allow you to &quot;zoom&quot; on the text, which is practically the same thing as changing text size, and I can't think of an easy way to override that, either using styles or not.

However, let's say we just really don't want anyone messing with a layout at all. Another option is to make all the text GIFs that cannot be resized or zoomed. The site could be composed of PDF files such that the layout is sacrosanct.

A fourth option is to write a browser that doesn't allow user control over text size, distribute it, and have your site check to see if it's the browser your users are running. If not, then recommend they download the latest version. [smile]

Cheers,
[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Like Lovecraft? Know Photoshop? Got time for the Unspeakable?

Would you be angry if you were browsing with scripts turned off, hotreca, and you found a site that got past that secuirty feature on the browser (regardless of weather or not it was harmful or cute)? If you were able to force past that setting, you'd be limiting your audience, howmany people have bad displays, bad eyes or just like things BIG? Why tie your users hands, and force him into a box. Most people follow a simple rule with webpages:

If a webpage takes to long, forces offensive content on me, overrides the settings I changed for a reason or is to hard to read/navigate I won't come back... Since the net is so large, I can find content in that genre elsewhere, and to he?? with anyone who want to EXCLUDE me in such a fashion.

As a designer and TechnicalUser, your responsibilities are this:
1.) Explore technilogical solutions to provide better service to the end user... Pushing the boundries, only if you are taking the end user with you.
2.) to listen to the end user about what the &quot;better service&quot; means to him. While, you or your company can define who they can cater to, and force restrictions on you... You need to be able to say &quot;If someone comes to a site that takes to long to load and over-rides his settings, they will lead regardless of our content and pretty site.&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back