Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fonts "garble" in brand new Quark 8.5 docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shel0716

Technical User
Apr 27, 2011
US
We've just updated to Quark 8.5. We are using Windows 7. Several brand new Quark documents have random garbled text when opened -- showing only squares and random characters.

When I highlight the "text" it shows as the intended font, but the only way to get the text back is to retype. This is quite time consuming. This happens in random documents and with random fonts. We've tested all the fonts. Deleted preferences. You name it. I've wiped out style sheets, libraries and templates that had anything to do with previous versions of Quark. Nothing has helped.

Quark has offered no solution except the fonts could be bad. Like I said, we've tested them. In fact this is a brand new machine and the fonts (all system fonts) have just been installed.

Any thoughts?

...i know this might not help much for previewing in Quark, but do the pages export to PDF with the garbled text?

...or are the actual text characters exported and printing fine?

andrew

============
============

...usually if fonts print or export corrupt then it is most likely a font problem...

...having seen your post on the quark forum you also mention these documents are worked on and edited over a network, are the fonts also being activated over a network?

...it's possible the network servers are corrupting files, generally it's much safer to be working locally with fonts and source artwork where possible.

...difficult to pinpoint really, although if the problem is isolated to only one workstation and not happening on other similar systems then it might well be worth trying to re-install quark on a clean OS again. Try also to find fresh copies of the fonts from other machines and copy them over...

...if you've tried the font replacement with fresh copies, known working copies, then it has to be the machine your working on, which ultimately may mean reinstall the OS again, although last resort...

...double check there aren't some quark extensions active that don't come with the default quark install, identify any and try disabling them if they exist, see if that helps.

...otherwise, i would be inclined to re-install quark again.

andrew

============
============

...it's interesting that you also mention errors when opening files on the network though. With this happening I'd be incline to think the network drives are possibly corrupting files...

...but then, if you can open these same problem docs on another workstation of similar setup then it would point the problem is with the Windows 7 machine your trying to use.

andrew

============
============

Thanks so much. I eventually created the document on my local machine and was able to finish it.

I am the only one here using Quark, so really nothing to compare it to. The computer is brand new so OS and fonts are fresh, so it very well may be a network issue.

Thanks so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back