Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fonts not embedding properly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksims

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
I'll often make a file in Illy with text (as well as invoices from Quickbooks). I'll then Print the file as a pdf so I can email the client the sample/proof.

Often the font gets changed on their end- thereby ruining the effect of our work.

In the Print dialog box, I'll leave the following UNchecked- "Do NOT send fonts to PDF." By doing so, I would expect my font to get sent with the pdf.

Where else do I have control over the font getting sent with the file?

ps. I noticed in another thread the following by Eggles...
"There are some fonts - whether you own the licence or not - that the manufacturers prevent embedding in a PDF. The only solution is to convert the text to outlines (assuming it's only a small amount of text) or use a different font."

Since we try to use the more creative fonts that we've purchased, are we just stuck not using certain fonts?

Thank you.
Nick

...yes, this is true that certain font vendors disallow font embedding, thats not to say you can't use them, viewing file > document properties > fonts will display what fonts are not embedded and those that are. Also if the local fonts under Advanced > Use Local Fonts is deselected it will use a substitue for fonts not embedded, a warning will appear if it struggles to find a substitute and will display as bullets...(i refer to acrobat professional not sure if a standard version has this option)...

...your only work around is to either convert to outline all your problem text, place on another layer in illustrator and output again, if you have access to a font conversion program you may be able to change the font and try running a pdf using the newly converted font. I've not tried this personally, but might possibly work...

...if you have the right version of illustrator you could also try export/saving as a pdf with the convert all fonts to outline option selected...

Andrew

apepp,

You've confirmed what I've been reading these past few days. I haven't tried your last suggestion yet. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks.

Nick

...just to add that the convert all fonts to outline needs to be done through transparency flattening to 1.3 (Acrobat 4) pdf...

...if your design has no transparency anywhere on the artwork then you will need to just place an object that does, i normally place a box somewhere and make it a white fill at 1%. The box or transparent item doesn't need to be covering anything it just needs to be there...

...this same idea can be used with enfocus pitstop and saved to postscript or eps...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back