Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fonts in CSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiffordS

Programmer
May 31, 2001
CA
I'm fairly new to CSS and I'm having a bit of an issue. I have used the following:

<style type="text/css">
body {scrollbar-base-color:#5c5a4e; font:Verdana;}
.brown {font-color:#583303; font-size:8pt;}
.red {font-color:#b50909; font-size:8pt;}
a:link{text-decoration:none;}
a:visited{text-decoration:none;}
a:active{text-decoration:none;}
a:hover{text-decoration:none;}
</style>

And then, in the body of the page I am using:

<span class="brown">Text that should be brown</span>

and

<span class="red">Text that should be red</span>

The font style and size are working great, but the color always defaults to black regardless of whether the text is in a brown span or a red span.

Please educate me here. THX

Actually, I have tried both color and font-color. Neither works.

Nevertheless, color is the correct one. There must be something funny going on with your code that isn't apparent from your example.

News and views of some obscure guy

Perhaps this:

Where you have the following line:
.brown {font-color:#583303; font-size:8pt;}

Should you not be specifying the element, like this:

span.brown {font-color:#583303; font-size:8pt;}
or
p.brown {font-color:#583303; font-size:8pt;}

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:

With minimum adjustments (like petey said, it's color, not font-color; Chris' font in body changed), this works for me crossbrowser:
Code:
<style type="text/css">
body { scrollbar-base-color: #5c5a4e; font: normal 1em Verdana; }
.brown { color: #583303; font-size: 8pt; }
.red { color: #b50909; font-size: 8pt; }
a { text-decoration: none; }
</style>

<body>
<span class="brown">Text that should be brown</span>
<span class="red">Text that should be red</span>
</body>

I wanted to thank everyone for helping with this. I'm sorry but I got sidetracked on another project so I did not respond in a timely manner. Anyway, picking the ball back up again....

Vragabond nailed it with the color issue, but the font size is still not working. When I change the sizes to say, the brown font at 8pt and the red font at 10pt, they both appear the same size. Actually, that's not true. The brown is always the same size regardless of how I set it. The red seems to adjust, but not the brown. I'm at a loss as to why it would work with the red but not the brown. The current code is pasted below.

.brown {color:#583303; font-size: 8pt;}
.red {color:#b50909; font-size: 12pt;}

Any help would be once again appreciated.

I must admit I cannot reproduce your problem. Your code works fine on my machine. Are you trying this exact problem or is your problem embedded in a larger page with much more CSS styles and (X)HTML code?

I have posted all of the CSS elements contained on the page. It really is driving me a little batty. I'm not using a very complex page at all. Even worse, I've gotten it now to where it works once through, but not twice.

For instance, if I start the page using the brown class...

<span class="brown">content</span>

it works great. I can then change to the red class...

<span class="red">content</span>

and I have no problems. But... when I try to go back to the brown class...

I get neither the brown or the red, but the default black. Maybe I need a priest.

what about a cache clear?

--------------------------
"two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do" - the unknown sage

I've even gone so far as to avoid the third span entirely by encapsulating the rest of the page, from the end of the red span onward, in a division.

<div class="brown>content</div>

Exact same result as before. The first two work well, but I when I try to go back to brown it goes instead to default black. I also tried giving each span a specific name, which would make any cache dump unnecessary, and that had no effect either.

please past your entire html here. there is likely some outside source of the error, since by itself, vrag's code works.

give us your complete html and we'll find out the answer, i hope.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
Lois: "Peter, you're drunk!"
Peter: "I'm not drunk, I'm just exhausted from stayin' up all night drinking!

Actually, I just found a workaround. I simply wrapped the page in a table and assigned the table element the brown class. That way I'm just using the spans to pick up the red class when needed. It works perfectly. I didn't change any code other than that, so I'm not really sure what the deal was. I do appreciate everyone's time, though.

This may have been a typo, but you are missing a " in your code:

Code:
<div class="brown[red]"[/red]>content</div>

--Chessbot

"See the TURTLE of enormous girth!"
-- Stephen King, The Dark Tower series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor