Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font when exporting pagemaker to PDF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLie

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
FR
Hello all of you...
I use windows XP and pagemaker7.
I create a simple new PM-document with the arial-font-text:
Aéèáà”ddd” “BBB’ B”
I save it and export to PDF and the result is:
AÈË·.îdddî ìBBBí Bî
(the font it seems to use is ArialMT instead of arial)
So there is obviously a font problem:
In the jobobtions of the distiller I did set 'Embed all fonts'
but this changes nothing. The same occurs with Times New Roman etc.....
Can somebody help me on this...?
Thanks for any help

How are you creating the PDF? Do you first print to a postscript file then distill? or do you use File>Export?

What postscript printer are you choosing when you make the PDF if using the first method?

I use File>export to create the PDF .
I have also tried to export first to PS and then distilling seperatly: still odd chars
When exporting to PDF i have tried to use de acrobat printersimulator and also the 'current printer setting': no difference.....the resulting PDF has odd characters in it.
When editting the joboptions>fonts one can choose fonts to embed. In the list of available fonts the arial font is not mentionned (i do not understand why since I can choose the arial font in pagemaker and it exists in c:\windows\fonts directory)

(when I print the pagemakerdoc directly to my postscript HP8500 printer there is no problem: special chars are printed correctly)

I wonder if it someething to do with resident printer fonts trying to over-ride the fonts you have selected? I recall reading something about this recently but it may have been over in the Adobe User-to-User forum if it is not here. I will see if I can find it for you.

Thanks Eggles, you where almost right; Meanwhile i have solved my problem:

When starting up distiller seperatly one has the option to change 'Font locations'. In that window there is an option
'Ignore TrueType versions of Standard Postscriptfonts'. It was unchecked.
Just checking this box solved my problem...simple as that.

Thanks for your help, you earned your star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back