Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

font questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trent101

Programmer
Nov 4, 2005
AU
Hello,

i have a question about using a fonts in my webpage. I would like to use a nice font that i have in photoshop, however this is not a standard font.

Im just wondering what is the deal, if i use this font on my website but someone viewing my site doesnt have the font installed, will they see a default font instead? If so is there anyway I can automaticaly make them download the font, or something similar, so that I can use these special fonts and everybody will see them?
thanks for your help.

cheers.

Yeh I was thinking of doing that.. However I have just read alot of articles that say text links are sooo much better to use for seo purposes...

any ideas?

If so is there anyway I can automaticaly make them download the font...
No, and we're all very happy about that.

If it is absolutely imperative that you use the font, make optimized images and use them.

I would simply use CSS to specify a series of fonts. e.g. p {font-family: "gill sans", "new baskerville", sans-serif;} which would display your particular font if present, then the next font on the list, etc. You are not limited to three entries, but use good judgment.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

If you want to get clever then you can use a server side language to deploy an image replacement technique.

Go to
See the "handwritten" text used in the headings on the section links?

Look at the markup. They are just plain <h1> tags.

This was done with PHP, some javascript and a font file located on the server.
You may see the "plain" text load first and then get replaced with images. To all intents and purposes the headings are still plain text.

Take a look at (as well as some other articles there).

Also Google for "Fahrner Image Replacement".

<honk>*:O)</honk>
Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web site design in Cheltenham and Gloucester
Ham and Jam - British & Commonwealth forces mod for Half Life 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back