Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonLo

Technical User
Apr 24, 2001
US
Hi,

I've got two font problems when I save my Pagemaker 7.0 file as a pdf file. They both involve the Californian FB font. In my font directory (in the Control Panel) it shows I've got this font in regular, bold and italic. When I format it in PM as bold italic, it shows up and prints from PM, but when I save it as a pdf, it shows up as courier. I also get the courier conversion when I go to pdf when I'm using a large font size - 200 pt.

Any thoughts here? Is it the too many installed fonts issued that I've read about in this forum (I've got about 400 installed) or is it 1) bold italic when I don't have it, and 2) just too big?

Thanks

Don

3 thoughts...

1) Check to see that when distilling the PDF, all fonts are embedded.

2) Some fonts cannot be embedded. Some newer fonts make use of licensing restrictions that prevent repurposing.

3) Try not to use the PageMaker font styling (bold, underline, italic) if the font is already available in these styles. PM can fake bold, italic and underline onscreen but some fonts may not be able to print this way.

If you have a font manager, you may want to try turning off certain font sets that are unused.

Ditto to what jimoblak says... he is right on. My guess is that you have used PM style to bold a non-bold font. Select the Bold font from the list.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Thanks Jimoblak,

Using the PM font styling was the problem for the bold italic font. Any thoughts on my other problem? Why would a 200 pt font convert to Courier in a pdf doc. I have other text in the same font at 120 pt, and it looks just fine in my pdf document.

Thanks for you help

>Why would a 200 pt font convert to Courier in a pdf doc.

It could be an inferior font, or a corrupt font, or a printer font, or a font that is not allowed to be embedded by design. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

My guess is that you are not making a lot of body text with the 200 pt font. This text be best handled as a graphic to ensure the font style prints correctly.

Try creating this type in Freehand/Illustrator and converting to outline. Save as EPS and place in PageMaker.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I couldn't create an EPS that looked nice, but something you wrote gave me an idea, which worked, although I don't understand why.

I created some additional text (just "..."), in the large font, and hid it behind a graphic. When I did this, and converted the file to a pdf, the text that had previously been converted to Courier, now printed correctly.

Can anyone tell me why this would work?

Don

BTW: Thanks for all your help - this is a great resource!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back