Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehotchkis

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2002
GB
Hello Chaps/ladies,

On some of my Win2k machines i am having a problem with the font Arial Narrow. A user types their document and the font is visual on the screen but it does not print out. Other fonts on the page print ok. This is not to do with the printer it happens on all printers. I have deleted the font and added new ones from a machine that it does work on. This seems to solve the problem until after a while it goes again, and on one machine the actual file dissappeared! on this one i installed the font again, rebooted and it wasn't there!

Hope you can help me on this as i cant find anything about it.

Cheers

Steve

Stevehotchkis,

Perform some maintenance on the machine: delete temps, run scandisk (error checking) and defrag your local hard drive, reboot, retry.

Then check that your file "ARIALN.TTF" (mine is 132K, 5/28/98) is actually installed on your machine via using the Fonts folder within Control Panel, and choose Install New Font, then retry.

Is your virus software up-to-date?

Hope this helps.

OK cheers will give it a go. Virus software is up to date, could this be an explanation?

Have done maintennance and service pack 3 is already installed but ive found out that if i make the user a member of the administrators group then the font works ok! obviously i dont want them to stay in this group. Is this something to do with the registry? could i give the user admin permissions on a certain key?

Stevehotchkis,

If members of the administrators group can perform tasks without incident, then it is a permissions problem. Check the users' permissions to the printer itself and its drivers, the fonts folder, and any other items associated with the use of this and other fonts.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Steve!

Have you blown away one of the user profiles and recreated it? If not, try that and see if the problem returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back