Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font Is messd up. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewRandle

Technical User
May 27, 2001
US
I was uninstalling some stuff like Eudora, and some other things, don't rember what they were, after I was done I went to Internet Explorer and my Fonts were messed up. Such as a site like google the font is twice as big and bold. I tried uninstalling IE and that didn't fix it, and I checked the options in the Internet Options and they are right. What could it be?

Check the properties of your desktop. Right click on the desktop, choose properties. Then click on the Appearance tab. There is an "Item" drop down selection - go through them and check the Font for any of the items that have that option. You might want to change them to a different font to see if that makes a difference. JSV

Bah, that didn't work. I changed all the fonts and tried different styles and it changed nothing. There are lots of different fonts messing up in different ways. Some are bold and some are some other type of font entirely. Could it be a registry file that got messed up or something else?

Never tried this - but it's worth a shot..

1. Move all the fonts to a temporary new folder.

2. Attrib -r -h +s %SystemRoot%\Fonts

3. If HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts exists, delete the Fonts key.

4. Add the Fonts key with a null Class.

5. Control Panel / Fonts / File menu / Install New Font.

6. Select the folder from step 1.

7. Make sure that Copy fonts to Font folder is checked.

8. Press the Select All button and click OK.

let us know what happens...im curious :) pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Just though about something more simple i didnt think of before - open google (or any website) and hold down CTRL, then scroll your mouse wheel back/forward. That will increase/decrease size of fonts as well. Im guessing maybe you did it on accident and didnt realize it? I know i've done it on accident a few times. Neat trick, but too easy to execute. I'd think it would be better to to a KB combo button/mousewheel scroll like CTRL+F1+Mousescroll (or whatever), but im not MS. :)

Hope it's that easy of a fix after all.. pbxman
Systems Administrator

HAHA, good one. I tried the mouse wheel combo and it worked.
I wish all problems could be solved that easy! Thanks Alot!

Would not the same thing be correctable or noticable by looking at View then Text Size? I didn't see the forest for the trees; didn't think it would be that easy! JSV

Yup VMwiseguy - same thing. The reason I mentioned the mousewheel thing was because it's just "too easy" to accidentally do. Especially with (myself at least) using the CTRL key a lot for selecting/pasting text from websites and such. But - you got it - the View/Text size is the same thing. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back