Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folders won't redirect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teamaker

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
GB
Can anyone make a suggestion as to why folder redirection would not work, all of our other policies take just fine?

I have set "Basic-Redirect everyone's folder to the same location.

Redirect to the following location

U:
I have all user folders map to U:\ set in profile tab.

The U:\ drive shows just fine in My Computer but the desktop shortcut always points to drive C

Any suggestions. Thanks.

!!A good cup of Tetley keeps the madness at bay!!

try using the unc path instead of the drive letter.

\\servername\sharename\%username%

I tried that as well, thanks for the reply tho.

If you type "NET USE U: /HOME" at the command prompt, what does it say?

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

It tells me the drive is already in use.

If i disconnect it and type NET USE U: /HOME it connects no prob but the My Docs folder still points to the HD.

I'm not sure what your are trying to do.. You never mentionned My Documents. Home folders and 'My Documents' are two different things. To redirect your 'My Documents' to the users Home Folder, then create a group policy that points them to that specific folder.

In the past i'm sure when i set this policy the My Docs shortcut pointed to the U: drive so when a user clicks the desktop icon it goes to there network drive.
I have to do this as they can't access My Computer.

hehe.. this is confusing, lemme see if I got this right:

- you want to map U: to the users folders
- you want 'My Documents' to be in the U:
- when people click on 'My Computer', you want it to open in their U:

Is this right?

Close, i want it so when users click on the My Documents desktop shortcut it opens their U:\ home directory.

I can go to each machine and set this myself by changing the target path but i want GP to do it for me.

I was under the impression this "Basic-Redirect everyone's folder to the same location" setting would do this.

Yes it should. I've never used the redirection. But it sounds like it should work pretty easily. It could be NTFS rights.. in fact it sounds alot like there are rights missing.

Does it work for an administrator? If so, make sure your users have the rights on \\SERVER\SHARE on the server side in the NTFS rights.

Yeh it did work really well under 2K this is on my test 2003K server and it just won't work even tho i have opened the permmissions right up.

Thanks for trying.

The users loging on are users and the grant users rights to this location box isn't ticked is it??

Can you elaborate on the location of this?

Thanks.

Hi, Just a thought, I've used Folder redirection for Start Menus and found that I had to create specific folders within the share before it would work. Have you checked in Event Viewer? It will probably tell you there why Folder redirection isn't working. My guess is that you'll need a folder named My Documents in each home share before it will work.
DonVan

Hi,
The reason its not working is the the Group Policy is processed before the drive is mapped so when the group policy runs U:\ doesn't Exist. I tried to do the same ting a few months back.

I'm not sure what you have in place at the moment!!! But this is what i did.

all my users have a home directory, this is located at \\servername\users$\%username% mapped via a login script to U:
Folder redirection doesn't like the folders created when it runs for the first time unless the owner of the %usernane% folder is the actual user.

My workaround for this was in the location for the redirected folder it entered \\servername\users$\%username%\My Documents allowing the system to create the my documents folder (this also assignes the folder the correct permissions) then either asked the user to move all there files to the my documents folder.

I hope this helps (makes sense)

Regards

Rob

I know this reply my sound mad but ive had the same
problem on our network as its very frustrating.

As odd as this may sound, the problem went away
once i updated our Windows XP & Windows 2000 clients
to SP3 & SP1 respectivly and updating the domain controler
to the latest service pack.

Robert

Another point, i think Internet Explorer not being on
Version 6 effected it and i updated that too.

Thanks for Reply but i am on all latest service packs and IE6. I have even tried SP4 for Win2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back