Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folders with garbaje names

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorel

MIS
Jun 15, 2004
On some Windows XP PCs, my home machine included, I have seen folders under the C: drive were their name is a long string of numbers, letters, and symbols, Usually when I see this I try to erase them, but some of them will not allow me to erase them giving me the message "Access denied".
What are those folder? who put them in the machine? Can them be delete safely? and finally, How do I delete those that give me the message "access denied"

Thanking all you in advance.

Joe

Be careful what you delete as it may cause more problems than what you'd like. You didn't mention if you've run any AV or AS apps. If you haven't, I'd advise you to do that 1st as well as download & install any Windows updates before going any further. If you have, set a system restore point (you might also want to back-up your Registry Editor) before continuing to delete files haphazardly).

For files you know are no longer needed but get Access denied, you can download Unlocker at:

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

Bob B-)

$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$

Do they look like the one above?

SirBlack: Thanks for remind me of the need to backup the register and set up a restore point, I will do that before I erase anything.

PBXJay: Yes I have a bunch of those located under c:\Windows, but I also have a couple of folders under C: that the name is a series of letters and numbers, and these are the ones that won't allow me to delete.

Joe

Like I mentioned earlier, Unlocker will remove the most stubborn files. I've used it many times without any problems.

Hope this helps!

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

Bob B-)

As a Viet Nam veteran, I do not stand behind or in from of the troops, I stand with them.

Joe

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

Error Message: "Access Is Denied" When You Try to Open NTFS File System Folders

How to Remove Windows XP Service Pack 1 Folders

Very long folder names in root
thread779-1363793

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back