Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folders Disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

MIS
Sep 19, 2001
US
Sometimes I have folders that "magically" disappear or are moved from their orginal location. Of course no one knows how they got there.
How can I create a rule or log that will tell me when files are moved or deleted?
Is there somewhere I can view to see who has last modified a file/folder?
Thanks

You can enable auditing of object access. You'll have to decide if you want to enable both successful or failed, but in your case it sounds like you want successful. Then, you can specify the objects you want to track. Be forewarned that you will get a lot of entries in the event log for this type of event.

greg013,
Thanks for the reply. I did enable auditing on the folder and it looks like the log file will fill up pretty fast.
I was also wondering if anyone out there has heard of any good 3rd party software that will do the same. I would really like to see who deleted/moved files, time etc.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back