Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Synchronization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2005
US
I work in an environment where every user has their own Home directory mapped to a server for online backup purposes. It has become mandatory to have every users' My Doc folder synchronized to the Home drive. My question is how do you set it up so that every user's My Doc folders are redirected to their Home drives?

Using Group Policies and setting Folder Redirection.

Is there any other way to do this without using GPO?

What's the issue with GPOs or are you not running AD (Active Directory)?

Under 2000 I know of no other way.

We are running AD, but the bosses do not want this implemented in AD. Usage issues, no one here is an expert with AD.

Then I know of no way beyond GPO. Yet GPO is dead simple and is only three or four clicks away. Seems silly not to use the very feature that was the drive behind 2000 and AD. However, I'm sorry but I know of no other method and so bail out here. Hope you find your answer.

Of course, a script could do it!

Stuck in the startup folder of the workstation and this would make the connection for you. Any use?

That maybe the only option I have left, but again, I do not know how to write scripts.

Any help you can give me as far as writing a script would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry but resting at home in the evening and cannot find my scripts folder. Will look tomorrow unless someone else can help. Could walk you through GPO easily though! :)

This is not folder replication but folder redirection. Did you mean that instead or do you have another purpose in replicating folders?

Still looking for script. No luck today. :(

To redirect My Documents to a new network location through GPO:

1. In the Console Tree, expand "User Configuration"
2. Expand "Windows Settings"
3. Select "Folder Redirection"
4. Right Click "My Documents" and then click "Properties"
5. Click the "Target" tab
6. In the Setting drop-down list, select "Basic - redirect everyones folder to the same location" or if you have differnet security groups choose Advanced to designate different target locations for different groups:
7 In the "Target Folder location" box type a network location as a UNC location or Browse to the folder on the network.

Just choose the default settings in the Settings Tab.

Click OK

This is indeed the way to use GPO but our friend does not want to use GPO. I am still hunting for the original script I used some time ago but now beginning to doubt it's very ow existence - or mine!

I was responding to Joblacks entry

"GazNew, I would very much appreciated if you can let me know how the setup of GPO is acoumplished for folder replication."

thinking it was redirection he meant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back