Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Sharing... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

caddnima

Technical User
Mar 20, 2002
US
On NT4 or Win2000 machines...

Even if you are not sharing your folders or nothing is being shared, there is a default C$ being shared as a default share. How can you turn this off...

I tried but as soon as I reset my computer it will go back to its original settings... and I cannot changed permission either...

Thank s

Any "$" share is a hidden system share and can normally only be accessed by an administrator of the system. If you browse to a computer you will not see this share. The "$" share is often used when setting up users home directories, as other users will not be able to see these directories.

Chris, I agree with you. But the problem is you can still access this directory if you type "\\computername\c$" with full acces capabalities. Which is scary... imagine... full access...

...Full Access for the Administrators group (normally, unless you change the share permissions), as Chris noted, other users should not have access to the share. If you are concerned about users accessing the share, verify the share permissions and ensure only admins are members of the Administrators group, or remove the share through the registry, as detailed in the link John provided, although the $ shares can greatly ease administration of the network. If you have any level of trust in your admins, this shouldn't be scary at all...

JMc,

the problem with this setup is that all of our are not administrators, they are all configured Domain Admins and Domain Users. I dont know if Im doing it right... But if I remove those make them as just Domain Users, they will be restricted up to the point that cant even change their computer time.

Or maybe I need to get back to school again and study rights and policies... : )

Herb,

I agree with you, but what Im worried about are the principals/boss computers. Read only, maybe I can live with that, but full access, that scary... they can delete anything in there.

All users as Domain Admins is definitely WRONG. It won't matter if you remove the admin shares, any user could edit the registry to re-add it and force the workstation to reboot, thus restoring the share (or worse)...

Users should not need to change the time on their computer, either, that is an administrative task.

Do review rights and permissions, determine what the minimum needs are for users to perform their jobs and assign permissions accordingly. You may need to create several groups based upon different employee roles and grant different permissions to each group. There are many ways to go about it, but Domain Admins for all is not one.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back