Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Sharing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogs2

MIS
Jan 10, 2005
GB
I have a shared folder on and Xp pro PC which is part of a workgroup and when accessing it from another xp pro pc or a win 9x pc I am asked for a password?

I have Simple file sharing enabled and have checked the usual connectivity issues.

Any ideas

Nogs??

Are you logged on to the client PC with the same username as you use on the machine with the share?

Steve

Are you logged on to the client PC with the same username as you use on the machine with the share?

Do both machines have the same password for the user?

Steve

Hi harris79

Im not logging on woth the same username, I have different password as well.

Thanks
Nogs

When sharing resources in a Peer to Peer network you need to have the same usernames and passwords set up on each of the computers.

I.e.

Machine 1 - Win XP

Username1 = Greg
Password = Palmer

Machine 2 - Win 98

Username1 = Bill
Password = Castner

in this situation you would not be able to share resources from one PC to another.

Add machine 1's user name and password to machine 2 and vice versa.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

you also need to be using the same username/password as well...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

With XP Pro and Simple File Sharing, you authenticate by the Guest account.

Make sure that the Guest account is enabled, on each computer. Enable Guest, from a command prompt type "net user guest /active:yes". Ensure that the password for Guest matches on both computers, from a command prompt type "control userpasswords2"; select Guest, click Reset Password.

On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights Assignment, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this computer from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.

Hi All
Having followed Cacrolls instructions I now get asked for a password when trying to access the xp pro pcs share for the following device:

\\PCNAME\IPC$

Any ideas anyone????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back