Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpk2006

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
IN
I am using Windows XP and Windows 2000. WinXP in Fat32 partition, and Win2000 in NTFS. I want to protect some of my folders and files with privileges.
The problem is that the folders to be protected are in FAT32 partitions. My NTFS partition is not big enough to accomodate all folders. Windows 2000 security applies only to NTFS partitions.

What to do?

---------------------------------
Securing a computer system has traditionally been a battle of wits: the penetrator tries to find the holes, and the designer tries to close them. � M.Gosser

If converting the filesystem is an option....

>convert /?
Converts FAT volumes to NTFS.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
/FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume is to be converted to NTFS.
/V Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.
/CvtArea:filename
Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory to be
the place holder for NTFS system files.
/NoSecurity Specifies the converted files and directories security
settings to be accessible by everyone.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid.

Will converting FAT32 to NTFS risk data loss? What other benefits I will get if I convert to NTFS?

With NTFS you get the security you are looking for like what your Win2k system is using. With FAT32 you really have no security options.

There shouldn't really be a risk of data loss with the conversion, but you should always have a good backup just in case. With computers, you never know how it turns out until it's done.

If I boot the system with a bootable floppy prepared in FAT32, I think I won't be able to see the hard disk partitions. Should a bootable floppy must also be formated with an OS on NTFS partition.

Correct (techincally) if you convert that partition to NTFS you will no longer see it with a bootable floppy. There are many utilities that will allow you to see NTFS partitions from a bootable floppy though.

And if I understand the second question, it is irrelevent what filesystem you are in when you create a bootable floppy.

How if I use Partition Magic and increase the size of the NTFS partition and place critical folders there.

Do I need to reinstall WinXP on the NTFS partition or I can protect folders in NTFS with WinXP in Fat32.

Sure, Partition Magic works wonders!

No you do not need to reinstall XP to use NTFS. Just run the convert command as I posted above from the command prompt.

c:>convert c: /FS:NTFS

and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back