Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder saying Access Denied To Administrator 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhadi

Programmer
May 2, 2003
SA
Hi,
Guys I am having a really weird problem.
I make a folder "A" say apply following permissions to it
1. Administrator =Full Control
2. Domain\users = Modify

I make subfolder "B". Now I require user1 to be the owner of this folder i.e he can do what ever he want in his profils other users can not even see the contents of this folder. For this I remove the inherited permissions and set it to
1. Administrator= Full Control
2. Domain\users = read permissions only
3. Domain\user1 = full control
Also checked apply this settint to all child folders

When I clicked apply it gives funny message related to some security propagation I thought it is saying that This will not copy the inherited values and will continue from folder "B". I clicked it OK :(

Contents of the folder "B" were "C" and "D"
Both folders are accessable by the administrator.

The problem begin when I copied a folder into it and click it. It gives Access denied message to Adminitrator!!.

I try to apply the inheritable permissions but it was too late!! It denied to apply those permissions on that folder!!

How can I recover this problem? Please help me!!

For future please tell me what should I do to gain my required security!!

mhadi

Check ownerships of the files as well.

-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=
GOD I love the smell of NOS in the morning.

Thank you very much CamaroLT This really helped me!!!
But to further avoid this problem and to have my desired security setting what should I do?!!
mhadi

configure the inheritable permissions at the top level folder. Eg - To the "D:\data" not the "D:\". Apply the changes to all subfolders and any new folders you create will be setup as you go.

Goodluck

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

Hi,

The user1 is in a group
other group members will not have any permission to view it but user1 will have full control
I try to apply inheritable permission for domain\users as full control on the main folder and deny it on profile folder it says
If a user is in a group and that group is not allowed and only the user is allowed this will result in access denied for the user!!!

1. What groups I have to make? Do I have to make another group or use default group i.e domain\users?

2.What permissions to Domain\users shall I apply on "main"?(folder containing all profiles) bcoz I want the users to list the "main" folder contents but allowed to open their folder only!!

3. I think the administrator is also in the domain\users group I want him to be the only one to view all folders i.e all user profiles!!

Please Hurry up I am going to paniC!!!

In need of the point solution!!!!
mhadi

*bump* any one please!! (If you require some more info or explaination please ask for it)

It is saying that the Deny permission overrides all other permissions so if you deny a group access to a folder and User1 is a member of that group then User 1 will be denied access.
You should consider creating a new group and moving User1 into it then allowing access to the folder for that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back