Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Redirects

Status
Not open for further replies.

mafioso1823

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2002
US
I am trying to use the folder redirects in group policy, but for some reason it doesn't want to redirect them to the server.

This is what i did to do it:

1. Set a shared folder on the server in the C:\ drive and named it Docs.

2. Set the permissions on the folder to authenticated users and gave them full permissions.

3. Went into AD users and computers and went to the group policies in the ou.

4. Set the folder redirection for My Documents to \\ServerName\Docs\%username%

5. Ran secedit /refreshpolicy user_policy /enforce

5. Logged off the user then logged him back on, nothing happened, so then i tried to reboot and still nothing happend.

Can some one please help me.

Why are you making a folder on the c:\ drive, why do you just redirest the MyDocuments Floder to the server like we do then you dont have to make files or set permsisions Matthew Hankins

Network Technicain @ DGI Hereford

It is redirecting to the server, it is in the C:\ drive on the server.

Oh sorry i missunder stood you.

Right the easyest way is.

1) make share \\server\docs\%username%
2) in AD set home share as: Network Drive (I use N:as n:\ and set path as \\server\docs\%username%

3) If you are using pre 2k, write logon script, in logon script add n: /home

4) set user to use logon script

5) In GP set MyDocuments to be redirected to N:
That should be it

Anyprobs just ask Matthew Hankins

Network Technicain @ DGI Hereford

What do you mean by this:

2) in AD set home share as: Network Drive (I use N:as n:\ and set path as \\server\docs\%username%

Do you mean to add a new share when you right click on the domain and then new, then shared folder?

Or do you mean the home directory for the user?

Just out of curiousity do you have aim, if you do can you give me your name that way i could aim you.

Obvious I know, but check the Application Event Log on the workstations that your users logon from & look for errors for UserEnv & FolderRedir. I've had same thing on 1000+ user network, but eventually found it was permissions problem.

Also, are your workstations Windows 2000 or above, as far as I'm aware Folder Redirection won't work with 95/98/Me. Spencer Window (not a joke name)
spencer.window@eastmidlandcomputers.ltd.uk

I just checked the EventLog and this is the error that i keep getting:

Folder Redirection:

Failed to perform redirection of folder My Documents. The new directories for the redirected folder could not be created. The folder is configured to be redirected to \\data-yxg96pilm3\Docs, the final expanded path was \\data-yxg96pilm3\Docs. The following error occurred:
Access is denied.

So then i set the permission on the folder to everyone for full control, added the user that i am testing gave him full control, and it still gives me the same error.

It also gives me this error to:

Userenv:

The Group Policy client-side extension Folder Redirection was passed flags (0) and returned a failure status code of (5).

Check the Settings tab on the My Documents policy under Folder Redirection.

There is a radio button for 'Grant user exclusive access' & also one for 'Move to new location'

The default settings cause the system to copy the contents of My Documents (or where it was redirected to by another policy) to the new location & then set full control to only the user.

You are probably getting the error because it trying to copy it from your share back to the same share.

Try switching off the radio buttons or disable the policy, get EVERYONE it affects to logon & logoff & then enable the policy again.

PS: I have managed to successfully "fix" a 1000+ user network so that My Documents move the \\server\home\%username%\Documents & Application Data moves to \\server\home\%username%\Applications

Spencer Window (not a joke name)

I just figured out what the problem was instead of me setting permissions on the folder, i set the permssions on the share that is why it didn't work. But i fixed it, so now it works, but thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it.

I have two more questions:

1. When i go to the users dekstop it shows all the folders that are redirected in the start menu. Is there a way to disable it.

2. Also in the shared folder where the redirects are located if i try to open that users folders it tells me (Administrator) access denied, and the only way i could get permission to open it is if i go to the users computer and add administrator and give full control manually, is there a way to automatically give the administrator full control of it and disable the user to add or remove permissions on that folder?

Not sure what you're getting at, but the trick I use is to only create shares on 2000 box by using the Computer Management tool.

When add a new share under Shared Folders/Shares, the wizard prompts you with the permissions required. Spencer Window (not a joke name)

What about all the folders that appear on the users desktop & start menu?
The folders that appear are all the other folders that could be redirected besides the My Documents.

And also thanks a lot for that, it really helped me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back