Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

folder redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwannabeit

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2006
CA
k...

I made a share to test out folder redirection named FolderRedirection on the main server...

I then applied privileges for Everyone to have Full Control of the folder...

I then used GPO editor to redirect the users data (MyDocs, App Data, Desktop, StartMenu) to the newly created share.

I then logged onto a test account within that group and saved a few new files for testing purposes on the desktop and in mydocs... (all profiles are roaming)

There is nothing on the server, but on the local machine these newly created test files are being kept in the c:/documents and settings/testuser's directory... shouldnt they now be going to the server share i created??? Arrgh, this should be simple...

Can anyone suggest any minor nuances i may have missed, ex.--should i enable loopback processing?

thnx

iwannabeit,

In the GPO that you created to redirect the folders change the path to \\Server\Share\%username% so it will create a subfolder for each user.

John

i have to admit i have been trying the whole \\Server\Share\%username% and I apply that to the GPO, then i try logging on as johnbgood... all of my docs are still being saved locally and the folder on the server does not apply any %username% whatsoever.... the server is running 2000 adv and the majority of thestations are xp clients... gotta be something soooo simple.. should the %username% folder be made on the \share upon logging in after the GPO is applied???? arrrrrrrrgh

...Hey now...

...UPDATE... I finally got it John, thnx for the help... the test group finally worked, my boss is happy and so am I cause i aint fired yet ;)

anyone interested in an onsite show/VBLOG about the trials and tribulations of a new network admin in his first real job? hit me back if interested

...Hey now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back