Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Redirection of My Documents and Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
I hav setup a folder redirection of my documents and desktop to the share in the server's drive.(\\server\redirect home\%username%)
When users logs in the desktop is full of redirected files and folders. My documents contents are also here in desktop aswell.
Is there anyway the Desktop contents will be in desktop only and My documents contents will be in My documents only.

as far as i know, once you redirect the My documents folder, thats where everything goes to. I use the same thing here. This is just workgroup, but all our users have their mydocuments folders mapped to our server \\server\userdata\%username% So it appears that they are saving their documents to their desktops, but its really going to the server.

I dont think they can have two seperate my docuements folders. one on the server, one on the desktop i dont think thats possible. I might be not understanding completley though...

You know this, but here's a recap if I miss your question-

Creating a My Documents folder and Desktop folder under the users profile directory. My sure that the users profile %username% is shared

At the GPO where the redirection is set, you can cofigure the My Documents to \\%servername%\profile\%username%\My Documents AND the Desktop to \\%servername%\profile\%username%\Desktop. On the desktop you can select "Move the contents of desktop to the new location. On the My Documents I do not think that this feature is necessary "Move the contents of My Documents to the new location"

If your wish to redirect the Desktop to a different server, the ame can apply, create the users profile on the other server, create a Desktop folder and in the Redirected GPO, change the path to that server.

Hope this help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back