Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Redirection intermitten problem wrong user

Status
Not open for further replies.

shallman

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
US
Folder Redirection intermitten problem: redirects to wrong users location.

I have about 30 users created on a small Windows 2003 SP1 system. There are 8 client PC’s (Windows XP, SP2) that are shared by the users. We have a group policy that enables Roaming Profiles. We have Folder Redirection for “My Documents” configured for each user in the Profile tab of the user Properties in ADUC.

All the users are redirected to //server-1/redirected$/%username%

Users can log on to any PC, there Profiles roam and their “My Documents” are redirected so they have access to their private documents and files from whatever PC they log on to.

This all works great most of the time, except on three occasions.

When working correctly:
On the client PC, when UserA logs on, “My Documents” is directed to UserA’s private area on the server.
When UserA logs off and userB logs on, “My Documents” is directed to UserB’s private area on the server.
User C, logs on . . ., etc.

The problem:

On occasion, UserB logs off and UserA logs back on, the “My Documents” stays redirected to UserB’s area on the server (right click My Documents, select properties to see this). When this occurs, if UserC logs on, his “My Documents” is properly redirected.
However, if UserA logs back on, again, it is redirected to UserB. Tried rebooting the pc but this setting now persists wrong.

This has occurred times, each time with a different user on a different client PC. I mention this because it indicates it is not restricted to just one user or one client PC.

The only way we have been able to fix this is by searching the registry on the server for the correct occurance of “redirected$/UserB” and deleting the key. This will fix the problem until it occurred again with another user on another PC several weeks later.

Help?

shallman,

You might find this to be of interest to your problem.

As stated, by default a copy is saved to the local HD, and this might be why the sys is erroring to a local copy.

Delete cached copies of roaming profiles

Hope this helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

rvnguy,

Thanks for the information. I will check it out.

Thanks,
SHallman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back