Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Redirection - Group Policy Vs. Local Redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

batocaster

Technical User
Jan 6, 2004
US
I have a question regarding folder redirection. I have recently set up a group policy enabling folder redirection of the My Documents folder on Windows XP notebooks to domain users home directories on a Windows 2000 server. I have also enabled offline files as my users want to be able to access their files when working on the road. Everything works as expected and I have had great success with the setup.

The problem I am experiencing is that I have users that like to log into each others machines when they are working in the office. Since I have a group policy enabled, the minute a user logs into another users notebook, it starts to sync the My Documents folder to the home directory and I now have two user profiles (or more) on the local machine that want to sync multiple My Documents folders to the servers.

Getting users to stop logging on to one another’s machines would be next to impossible. Other than turning off the offline files option (which would disable out-of-the-office access), is there a way that I can ensure a user will only sync a My Documents folder to their home directory on the server when logging in from their assigned machine and not just any machine on the network?

I did look into simply redirecting the path for My Documents on the local machine and enabling offline files. This works great too but I would assume that users could unintentionally turn the service off by accident. However, all of my users log into the domain and that account has only Power User rights on the local machine. I have not yet looked to see if this would prevent them from changing local folder redirection. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m hoping that I am not the only one to have run into a situation such as this. Thanks!

There are group policies that will stop users from changing the the redirection settings. This may help...

No Pain No Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back