Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Redirect on XP from W2K3 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGUY53

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US
i have a question about folder redirect. i have stepped into a job where folder redirect has been implemented leaving very little documents about local site tweaks, etc.

when i log into computer A with XP, i create shortcuts and links on my desktops and even save things into My Documents which in turn moves over to the w2k3 server. so i know that things are syncing up and uploading just fine. but when i log into computer B with the same user id, i don't get the shortcuts i've created from computer A. is this normal or not? because i thought the essence of Folder Redirect is to redirect from one source and distribute wherever it's needed.

When you log into a PC your personal settings are saved locally in Docs and Settings. You need a roaming profile to accomplish what you are talking about.

I think you're getting different issues confused. Folder redirect removes one of the folders from the profile (typically My documents, but can do others too) and references a fixed network resource location instead. So whenever you logon/off, system doesn't have to download/upload said folder, but you have access to all your files from all machines. If your My documents folder has been so redirected, then you should see the same files/folders on My documents wherever you log in.

However, the desktop is another folder in the profile. Assuming its not redirected, then it depends on the type of profile you have whether or not shortcuts you save on the desktop stay saved and are available elsewhere. As bracadar said, you need to be using a roaming profile for details you save on one machine to be available on another. If not, then everything is local. But even if you do have a roaming profile, there are other factors. The profile could be mandatory - which means it loses any changes made to it during the session when you log off. Also, folders can be excluded from the roaming profile (again to lesses the network load). If your desktop folder has been so designated, again anything you do is going to be local. You need to talk to your tech support to get what you need put in place.

thanks for the responses.

bracadar: it is not an option that we implement roaming profiles. our network is just too slow so it will take forever to even have our profiles load.

wolluf: i am redirecting my documents, & desktops. i don't want to do the whole profile of certain individuals. it just won't work that way.

apparently i just found out that our site kicks off quite a bit of scripts while logging on and one of the things i needed to add was a registry string so that it would i identify and kick off folder redirect under HKLM.

thanks for the post fellas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back