Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Permission Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklow

MIS
Apr 2, 2001
US
Hi,

On NT4, NTFS file system. Can I create a folder, then give permissions to group1 read, write and group2 read,write and delete? If I can do that, how?

I know this is stupid, but I really don't know.

Thanks!

Yup

Open my computer
Go to wherever you want to create the folder and right click
On the menu that comes up, go to new then click folder
Name folder whatever you want and hit return
Right click on your new folder and click on sharing
Click on shared as and give it a name or use the default
Click on the permissions button and add or remove users or groups (if your groups are not already defined, go to User Manager and create them)
Highlight the users or groups and choose the type of access
In your case you want change and full control
Click on OK
Click Apply (just in case)
Click OK
You may get a message about MSDos workstations, just click on yes (unless you are using an MSDos workstation!)

There are two types of permissions. The ones described here are share permissions then there are NTFS permissions. You need to understand how these permissions interact with each other depending on how you or others will be accessing the folder. Share permissions only apply when users access the share over a network. If you have both NTFS and share permissions applied the most restrictive combination of the two will be applied. It can get a bit confusing but you meed to understand this or you could run into all sorts of problems. If you want any more help please don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck.

Keep in mind, too, that giving a group "Full Control" access to a folder also allows them to change the permissions level, and take ownership of the folder. You're better off to give them exactly what they need instead.

If you give "Full Control" share level permissions, then use NTFS to restrict it. Right-click on the folder, go to "Properties" and select "Security" and "Permissions". After adding the group, use the drop-down list to give "Special Access" and enumerate exactly what you want the group to have.

As s-j-f said, when share and NTFS permissions are combined, the user actually realizes the more restrictuive of the 2.

Hope this helps... :cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Another one to watch out for.
The 'no access' permission overrides all other permissions. So for eg. if you put a user in group1 with 'no access' and also in group2 with 'full control' then no access is what that user will get.

Steve

p.s I'm s-j-f, I joined a while ago and completely forgot. That's what having to learn all about this permissions stuff does to you :)

Sorry to jump in to this thread, but I have very simular problems, following the above setting the permissions still will not work for me. The permissions show to be correct but the user still cannot access the folder or create a new folder, anyone have an idea?

Thank you.

BobLaw
Are you sure the user is not part of another group that does not have access to the folder? You will need to track back and see what groups the user you are having problems with is a part of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back