Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Permission Headache in 2k3 r2

Status
Not open for further replies.

campilank

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2010
PH
hi all

heres the scenario

Shared Folder =* Department Files *

we have a group defined in AD users that has access to this folder.. i wana change the permission to Read+Write+Modify but cannot delete

is this possible sirs?

Go to the folder permissions and click on the advance button. There you can specify exactly what they get.

We tried something similar a while ago, created issues with temp files not being deleted for us, but that was a few years go when we did it on a 2000 server

even if i try special perms.........

it comes out to be read only and can't delete , yes it can't delete but the files becomes read only

wht i need is read write and execute minus delete......

As soon as you give modify permission they can delete.
One of the ways to help out is to enable VSS on the volume and install VSS client to everyone, that way you can get files/folders that get deleted.
This has saved many a file and folder for me.

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

you got my point sir....its the accidental deletion is wht im trying to prvent or maybe pin point the culprit plus the additonal security

you mean install all member of the group with VSS? sir?

There is seldom a technilogical solution to a behavioral problem", as Ed Crowley always says.

Having the shadow copy client installed on the local workstations should help.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

sorry for the ignorance sirs ,can i ask for a procedure or documentation if its not too much

On the server C: D: E: etc right click and enable volume shadow copy, set up a schedule and then click create now.

Download this and deploy via GPO.

You can also enable auditing on the files and folders to check who is deleting them.

BTW some info seems as you new to this, to recover on a server you will need to go to \\server\share then right click Previous Versions.

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

if it is the recovery of files that get accidentally / intentionally deleted then we use Undelete by diskeeper, proved itself to be very useful on more than one occasion.

we have a reliable Backup System.... its just the deletions accidental or not that makes the issue..

back on the 1st priority issue sir.... the
Read Write Edit but not delete....

how can i achieve this? sirs

ahhh oki...so research mode again.....
on other ways

for now this seems i think impossible

im sticking to Folder Auditing

thanks all for the reply

more power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search