Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder List Cleanup in Outlook 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb1

Technical User
Apr 19, 2002
US
After a crash and restore of Outlook I have the following folders in my folder list:
1 – Personal Folder
1.1 – Sub folder 1
1.2 - Sub folder 2
1.3 - etc..

2 – Outlook Today – (Personal Folder)
2.1 – Sub folder 1
2.2 - Sub folder 2
2.3 - etc..

The sub folders in each of the above main folders are the same. When I receive mail some mail goes to the first folder, some goes to the second. This is very annoying and impractical.

I would like to reset my outlook Folder List to, for example Outlook Today – Personal Folder), and regroup all the sub categories in one main folder list. When done, I would like to disregard the folder list that is not in use.

Any attempts I made, only added more main folder and subfolders.

What would be the best way to cleanup this mess?
Thanks in advance.
Louis

You may want to consider recreating your Outlook profile with a new personal folder. Then import the messages from the other personal folders to the new folder.

This should get you started fresh. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I have a nearly identical situation. My Outlook 2000 folders are the similar to lb1's. I did not have a crash, but had to do a reformat, reinstall of my entire system. When I imported from my previous .pst file, I wound up with duplicate folders. Now when I create any item, it is duplicated item for item in the other folder.

I am using Outlook 2000, on Win98 SE, as IMO (Internet Mail Only, meaning that I do not use Exchange folders).

I have tried repeatedly to correct this including hacking the registry, but none of those corrections provided relief from this situation. I am concerned that if I try this again I will have multiple duplicate folders.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

C Fray

lb1,

I successfully solved my problem by using Google Groups search function. The following URL will help, and I am enclosing it in < > because it is very long.

<
You can also find more information by going to groups.google.com and searching for &quot;outlook duplicate personal folders&quot;.

I hope this helps you solve your problem. I have been jousting with this one for almost a year, and FINALLY knocked it off its horse yesterday.

C Fray

Thanks,
I will try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back