Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fm 5.5 database issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

protoolco

Technical User
May 3, 2007
US
forgive me for the wording but this was the best to i could think of to explaing.
i want to create "database b" using all the information from "database a" but all the info must be updated in "database b" every time "database a" is updated i thought that was called define relationship but i can not get any info to show in "database b" when i do that i am with out a doubt missing something i just cant figure out what i am doing wrong...thank you

That would leave you with two exact same databases.

I you could tell us the 'why', there could be probably a way how to do it.

the main reason is the "list mode".. one person wants a list with all the info from the database another person just wants name, addy. and i couldnt figure out how to do a second "list mode" that only shows that info..i.e. my thinking build another database with just the fields in the list mode that the other person wants. did i explain that ok?? thanks

No need for a second database for that.

You can make as many layouts from a table as you want/need, with all the different fields, colors, sorting etc. forevery single given user.

It's just the navigation to those layouts that you have to control/manage.

Make sure every user has an account name.

When the user hits a button to navigate to a layout, make sure you take the account name as variable to the script.
In your script handle the variable in accordance.

F.i. the accountName is 'John Doe'. Set the accountName in the Option script parameter using the calc Get(AccountName).

In your navigation script check for the accountNAme.
If (
Get(Scriptparameter) = 'John Doe')
Go to Layout (specificLayoutForJohnDoe)
End If
If(
Get(Scriptparameter) = 'Flor Aldagonda'
Go to Layout (specificLayoutForFlorAldagonda)
End If

I saw too late you're still on FM 5.5.
No script parameters yet in that version.

Erase/delete the above, but hold the idea.

Make sure you have groups in your access privileges.

Or you work with the user name (see application preferences) or you capture the user name in an accessroutine where they have to enter their name before they using the application.

The concept is the same for the script:
If(
accountName = "John Doe"
GoToLayout (specificLayoutForJohnDoe)
End If
If(
accountName = "Flor Aldagonda"
GoToLayout (specificLayoutForFlorAldagonda)
End If

gezzss i am not sure if i get all that you have filemaker neebie here on this end..maybe this is a better way to say it..i used one of filemakers premade databases"inventory" and molded it to what i wanted...then i go to "list layout" and put the fields that i wanted in that section..what i want is a second "list layout" using the same information from the "form view" to go to with a different set of fields in that..is what you just told me to do with the script going to do that? again sorry for the lack of understanding.

In your post you wrote in part:
>>one person wants a list with all the info from the database another person just wants name <<

To make it simple now, you make for each person a layout, with the fields they want, in the order they want, even in the color they want, and give that layout a appropriate name (f.i. JohnDoenamesList - what stands for the layout with the names like John Doe wants to see it).

The problem now will be to direct each different user to his/her layout.

To do that, FileMaker needs to know who's at the steering wheel. WOW, who is the user at the moment that given user clicks on a button to go to a layout, his/her layout.

One way to do that is on the access level, where you putin all the names of the possible different users.

Go to File -> Access Privileges -> Groups: fill in "John", click Access.
Give privileges to layouts.

Now you can link your navigation script to a group or a single user by referencing the group oruser in the script, like I mentioned above.

Or you can put a global field (nameUser)on an entry layout, where the user has to enter his/her name prior to use the application.
The script needs to make a reference to that field first.
To accomplish that you make an Entry layout with just one field, the global field.
The openingscript can be something along these lines:
Go to layout (openingsLayout)
Set field (globalField; "") /*this will make the global empty*/
Go to field (global) /* this will put the cursor inthe global field*/

The user fills in the name.
Redirect theuser whereyou want by script, checking the name first:
If(
nameUser = "John";Goto layout (the layout for John)
End If
If(
nameUser = "Flor"; Goto ayout (the layout for Flor)
End If
etc

hmmmm.. little more involved then what i thought.. and it sounded so easy..thank you very much for all your help..

What you can do, if security etc is not involved...

Just copy the layout you have now.
Tweak that layout with fields etc. to meet the requirements for 'an other' user.

In that layout, put a button that goes to the first layout, and in that layout, put a button that goes to the second layout. It can be a button with their name on...

That way, each user can navigate to the layout they want/need.

It's a little bit like DIY on user level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back