Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fluorecent over Cable UTP Cat5E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squesada

Technical User
May 17, 2001
CR
Hi every one. My question is about cabling. There is a proyect in my company of cabling all the building with UTP cable Cat. 5E. There is a problem; very near like 15 cm the cable UTP is passing under one fluorecent. Is there a problem about the EIA/TIA 568A Standard with this? I was reading once that this kind of cable with this standard is not allowed to pass near of fluorecents and some sources of magnetism. In my company we asked the company that is doing the proyect to certify the cable to reach speed of 155 Mbps.

Well, if someone could help me and resolve my doubt, please do. I'll appreciate all the help you can offer me. Thanks...

Sergio Q.

In practical terms, running UTP 15cm away from a fluorescent tube should not cause problems, unless there is something radically wrong with the tube fitting. I've seen it run 15mm away from a tube without any ill effects. Can't help you with regs though...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Running a cable near a single fixture shouldn't cause a problem. Running a long cable near a dozen fixtures along it's length might.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

It all depends on the length and which way the cable is crossing the lights (vertically or horizontally).

To comply with standard, your cable should be as follows:

Greater than 4 feet from motors
Greater than 1 foot from alternating current sources
Greater than 5 inches from fluorecent lighting.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back