Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy drive trouble with Asus P5A-B and W2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBoss

Instructor
Oct 28, 2000
US
I am running an Asus P5a-B with AMD K6-450 processor. I am having trouble with the floppy drive. It is not able to read all of my floppy disks. It actually makes them unusable on my W98 machine. If I bring a floppy with data on it to the W2000 machine, most of the time it will not be able to read the data. It then says that the disk is not formatted.My disk's data is lost after that. I have changed both floppy drive and the cable. I suspect a problem with the Asus motherboard. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version. It doesn't matter where the floppy comes from (I have tried floppies from many sources)my W2000 machine, just intermittently destroys floppies.

If you boot your machine with a bootable dos
floppy does it still show the same behavior?

This might at least differentiate where the problem lies.

Win2k behaves very oddly at times. My machine
came with an LS120 drive. It caused so many problems that I installed a regular 1.44 MB floppy. It was recognized as the A: drive by
DOS but as the B: drve by Win2K. I tried everything to get them in sync with no help
including taking them both out and reinstalling them with eh 1.44 first and then the LS 120. No change. The only way I was able toget them in concert was, with both installed, to completely reinstall Win2K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back