Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy Drive started activating on shutdown 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmshrink2

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
ZA
After months of not doing so, my FD has recently started activating during the shutdown process (light goes on and spins as if checking the drive). How come? I'm wondering if this may also have something to do with my recent difficulties reading some floppy disks (actually some files on the disks can be read and others can't, even though they were saved at the same time and from the same PC).

Some virus scanners try to do a check of all removeable media during shutdown. Something about making sure your floppy is virus-free in case you're booting from it.

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

My Win98SE system does the same too. It has no anti-virus (it is not connected to the net). A floppy is always in the drive, none has ever been harmed so far.

True that anti-viruses, especially Norton, had problems with Win98.

I'm running NAV/Internet Security 2005, and I don't see any option to turn off automatic floppy checks on shutdown, so this doesn't appear to be the explanation. Any other possibilities?

Here's a Norton AV knowledgebase article about the problem:

It only mentions versions for 2003 and 2004, but I'd be willing to bet they just haven't updated their knowledgebase for the 2005 version yet.

Seems that you'd lose the bet, BaudKarma - NAV/IS 2005 is very sparse on options: there doesn't even seem to be an advanced options option. I searched the knowledge database (thanks for that hint) using NAV2005 and the keywords "floppy drive", and the page that you've referenced doesn't come up. In fact, nothing comes up that even remotely resembles that particular problem. Weird.

Sorry to come in late on this one!!

I seemed to remember having this issue with some systems after saving to a floppy (which you mentioned you may have been saving/accessing files on floppies lately).

Try to save a file to your hard drive and then shut down. Alternately, you could clear your "recent documents" by opening the properties on your start menu and clearing your document history.

This issue has the same symptoms as the AV issues discussed above, and neither solution would surprise me!

Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

My computer barked at me over the weekend for having removeable media (a USB thumb drive) in it when it was shutting down. I'm running NAV corporate.

Try this... put a floppy in the drive, then shut your system down and see if it says or does anything different.

NAV 2005 DOES have the option that BAUDKARMA pointed us to.

The steps are exactly as the Norton AV knowledgebase article indicated.

rirusstek2,
The knowledgebase article cited by Baudkarma says to click Options/Autoprotect/Advanced and then uncheck the "scan floppy disk option". My version of NAV2005 has an Options and an Autoprotect, but no Advanced option and no option to uncheck the floppy scan. My previous NAV version 2004 did have that option, but unless I have an anorexic 2005 version or am losing my marbles, I don't see it here.

mmshrink2 This is how to get to it.

1) On the drop down menu of OPTIONS you choose Norton Antivirus

2) You then are at the AUTO PROTECT menu

3) You place your cursor over AUTO PROTECT and another menu expands.

4) You choose ADVANCE and you get to this menu and uncheck the Floppy A option.

rirusstek, you are a genius. It is exactly as you say. Norton's have really gone all out to make things difficult to find in this version (earlier today I learned that you have to double-click on the Personal Firewall item in order to open up Network settings - which took me a while to figure out since no other options open up on double-clicking). Thanks for your time and above all your patience on this one.

Not to be rude here, but it seems to me that Baudkarma should be getting the kudos here, he (she) is the one who found the problem. Not a big deal, just a statement is all.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Quite right Garebo.
Please forgive my oversight Baudkarma - I'm afraid I overlooked your original pearl of wisdom as the thread got longer, which is a poor excuse. A thousand apologies and as many thanks.

No problem, mmshrink2. I just figured you didn't want to give me any credit because that would mean that you lost the bet. [wink]

Plenty of credit to go around. The important thing is that we resolved the issue. Oh, and that I was right the whole time. That's important too.[sunshine]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back