Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy Drive seems to be out

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystal28

Programmer
Oct 23, 2002
US
When i switch on my system the Floppy drive just has its green light on and is not able to detect,ive tried changing the cable of the drive that goes to the mother board yet it does not help.Does this mean the Floppy Drive is gone.Please let me know,ur answers are appreciated.

Obviously the floppy is getting power, so before you replace it check the connection.
The most common error is connecting the ide cable to the floppy the wrong way round.Make sure that the thin red stripe on the side of the ide cable going into the floppy is on the side of the power connection.
Also try another ide cable.
or, test the floppy drive on another machine

Whenever connecting an ide device the red stripe will be on the side of the power supply

Howdy:

Normally that means you have the cable attached wrong - either at the mobo or at the floppy drive or both !!

Make sure pin 1 on the cable goes to pin1 on the mobo and floppy drive.

Murray

Thanks guys for the reply.Actually i did try it the way you have mentioned and also even bought a new cable to make sure the cable is fine still it did not work.Anyway i will try it out with these instructions once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back