Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy drive not recognized after adding 2nd Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlaSita27

Technical User
Mar 21, 2003
US
I have windows XP. I added in a second hard drive making that one the slave and the primary the master. I also have a CD ROM and CD/RW. After adding in my 2nd Hard drive, my floppy drive is no longer being recognized by windows XP. Although the BIOS does see it. When I boot up my PC, I get an error, Diskette Drive 0 not readable, something like that. That's not the exact error, but something close to it. Anyway, Device Manager shows the device as not working properly and to run Help and Support to troubleshoot. Help and Support just mentioned that my floppy drive might be bad and needs to be replaced. I find that hard to believe because it was working fine until I added a new Hard drive and changed all the drives to AUTO in the BIOS. I could live with the fact that I might need to replace my Floppy drive, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Howdy:

Make sure you didn't pull the cable partway out of either the mobo or the floppy drive when you were installing the other hdd..

Murray

I did make sure. I also un/replugged the cables behind the floppy and to the motherboard. No help..

It would be a bit of a coincidence that the floppy died just at the time you did the upgrade, but stranger things have happened and the symptoms do sound like a dead fdd. Win XP is very sensitive to bad hardware and will often reject hardware or even fail to boot where the same unit is OK with another OS. I have had this experience twice on a dual boot system, once with a video card and once with a keyboard. In both cases XP would not boot until the item was replaced but 98 was ok. Suggest you borrow another fdd from someone and try it. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

The wierd thing about this problem is that Windows XP still boots up with no problem even after displaying the diskette drive 0 message. The messages flashes for a few seconds, then XP starts up like normal. If it was soo sensative to failed hardware, how is it still booting up on a failed floppy drive? Any more suggestions?

The cable is connected upside down at the floppy disk.
Many are not keyed.

That's is not the case either because I checked the cables already. The floppy drive worked before putting in the second hard drive and I did not mess with any of the floppy cables. They are plugged in correctly. I think the reason why XP still boots up is because the BIOS still recognizes the floppy. I just think that is weird considering that XP does not recognize it to be working properly.

Try removing the second harddrive and put everything back the way it was and see if the errors go away.... at least that will give you more of an idea if it was indeed cause by installing the drive....or has just decided to go bad...

Both my floppy drive and CD drive are not accessible after a few days after installing NERO5 and INCD in my PC. More fun is that they are not working even connected to other PC. Both the drives are visible and show that the devices are working properly but not accessible. I have found the same case with some other person (refer Could you please help/suggest me..

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back