Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy drive mixup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyluk

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
US
I have a unique problem I have never encountered before. I work at a school and we get donated computers. This one is working fine running Win98 EXCEPT-in the BIOS it lists my floppies as A: 1.44 3.5 B: NONE- When it boots up it shows A: NONE and B: 1.44 3.5- In My Computer it show no B: and the A: is a 5.25. I have checked the strap-it is connected correctly and I have removed the drive from the Device Manager and it came back the same way. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Trisha

Check for drive swapping in the BIOS for starters. Should be disabled.
Then the drive should be on the end of the ribbon, past the cut and twist.

Suspicion that drive swapping is active, which causes the A:/B: mixup during boot.

There may be other problems with the device manager.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I would do what EdFair has mentioned first.
Also, some of the older floppy drives had jumpers on them as well. If this one has them then you would be better off not to mess with them. They have no pin assignment printed on them. At least the old ones that I ever saw didn't. The pc may have also had a tape drive or a 5 1/2 floppy drive in it before you got it. Try
using a standard floppy cable and/or try booting with a bootdisk and see what drive letter is being assigned in Dos.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. The drive swapping was enabled-I never would have figured it out. Once again Tek-Tips saves my butt and makes me look like a genius in front of the Tech Committee ;-)

Trisha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back