Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy drive failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuben

Programmer
Feb 8, 2001
ZA
I have a 3.5" and a 5.25" drive connected to a Pentium I machine.

I removed the floppy drive, rebooted the machine to do some stuff. When I reintstalled the 5.25" floppy I get a floppy failure on boot-up.

When I change the BIOS settings from 1.2MB to 360K the drive works fine, even though the same drive worked when a 1.2MB setting was used on the same machine with the same drive previously.

Please help.

My floppy is 1.4MB, not 1.2MB.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

You may want to try a new floppy cable. If you had to bend it any to get the 3.5 and 5.25's to work together, a wire in the cable could be broken, causing it to only work for 360K. Also, check to see if there are any jumpers missing on the drive. You might have dropped one.

ceh4702, I think yuben is refering to his 5.25" drive, not the 3.5" drive. For those too young to remember, the 5.25" floppy drive latterly came in 360Kb and 1.2Mb capacities. As far as I'm aware, 3.5" floppy drives have only come in 720Kb, 1.44Mb and 2.88Mb sizes, although I don't think the latter size ever caught on...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Thanks guys. It was not the cable.

It seems that the drive was damaged when I removed it. The worst was that I tried another drive with the same problem. It was only on the third drive that I did not receive the error.

Thanks for your help again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back